The Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) held a parent’s meeting at the Noordgesig Primary School in Soweto on Monday morning to discuss their concerns over the appointment of a black principal.
However, things didn’t go as planned, as parents refused to speak to the department’s officials who were sent there to intervene.
Speaking to Inside Education, the department’s Spokesperson Steve Mabona said the parents demanded that they either speak to the MEC or the Head of Department and no one else.
This follows last week’s protests when parents disrupted learning at the school on Friday, saying that the appointment was imposed on them and that they were not consulted.
In a statement, parents said they felt disrespected by the appointment of a new principal, as the acting headmistress was doing a good job and there was no reason to remove her.
They also referred to the newly appointed headmaster as “a Bantu African” but insisted they’re not rejecting him on the basis of race.
The new headmaster was supposed to start his first day on Friday morning as principal of the school – two years after his predecessor was fired amid a circumcision scandal.
Mabona said a meeting with the HOD will be scheduled for Tuesday afternoon to discuss a way forward.
“We will set up a meeting with the HOD for tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon to discuss a way forward with the concerned parents as intended,” said Mabona.