The Department of Basic Education says it’s all systems go for the 2018 academic year.
Most provinces have confirmed they’re ready but Gauteng, the Northern Cape and the Western Cape are still dealing with admission and space issues.
In Gauteng, the department announced that there were more than 31,000 pupils who still needed to be placed in schools while nearly 900 learners are yet to be placed in the Northern Cape’s Frances Baard and John Taolo Gaetsewe district municipalities.
In the Western Cape more than 11,000 pupils don’t have a confirmed place in a school for the year, mostly in Grades 1 and 8.
According to the department, this was because more than 150,000 learners migrated to the Western Cape over the past five years, placing the schooling system under enormous pressure.
Speaking to Inside Education on Monday, the department’s spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga said he was confident that there’ll be a good start to the academic year.
“Readiness checks were done in 2017 and we are confident that with all the work done we are sure to have a good start to the calendar year,” said Mhlanga.
Mhlanga said textbooks and all the required resources were delivered to all schools last year.
He also outlined the department’s plan to ensure that they “utilise each and every school day for curriculum coverage to be improved in all schools”.