The department of education in Gauteng will be approaching the Constitutional Court over the Hoërskool Overvaal matter.
This was what the MEC Panyaza Lesufi told media at a press briefing in Boksburg on Tuesday.
This comes after the Gauteng Department of Education and its legal team met with the National Department of Basic Education on Monday to discuss a way forward with regards to Overvaal.
“We are also filing our appeal this Friday and we believe we have good grounds to appeal this matter.
Earlier this month, the North Gauteng High Court ruled against the department’s instruction for the school to accept an additional 55 English-speaking pupils.
The school claimed it had no capacity to admit the learners‚ and could not set up a parallel stream in the timeframe it was given by the department.
However, the department argued that the matter had nothing to do with capacity but the fact that the learners could not speak Afrikaans.
Lesufi said he had been meeting with several stakeholders in an attempt to restore calm at the school and rebuild relationships.
“We are pleading with community structures to back off that institution and allow learning to take place,” said Lesufi.