All the nominees are in and things are heating up ahead of the 18th National Teaching Awards set to take place in Johannesburg in less than three days.
In a statement issued by the Department of Basic Education, South Africa’s top teachers will be honoured this weekend for their contribution to the education sector.
“The Department of Basic Education will on Saturday 17 February 2018 through the 18th National Teaching Awards honour the selfless contributions of the nations most dedicated teachers,” read the statement.
The department said the annual event recognizes and promotes the extraordinary efforts of some our countries most dedicated teachers while promoting and praising their excellence in the teaching profession.
“Through the National Teaching Awards, the Department of Basic Education acknowledges the extraordinary efforts of teachers, often achieved under very difficult conditions and in service to children from underprivileged families and economically depressed communities,” the statement read.
The department says the awards will recognise outstanding teaching and leadership in the following categories;
- Excellence in Primary School Teaching
- Excellence in Secondary School Teaching
- Excellence in Primary School Leadership
- Excellence in Secondary School Leadership
- Excellence in Grade R Teaching
- Excellence in Special Needs Teaching
- Excellence in Technology Enhanced Teaching and learning
- Excellence in Teaching Mathematics
- Excellence in Teaching Natural Science
- Nelson Mandela Lifetime Achievement Award
- Prof Kader Asmal Award
The awards are expected to be held at the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg.