More than R120m has been lost through theft at schools since the start of the 2019 academic year, the Gauteng Department of Education said Wednesday.
Theft, burglaries and vandalism have led to the loss of valuable resources that were meant to enhance the delivery of quality education to pupils, Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi said in a statement.
At 256 schools in the province, there had been 262 reported cases of theft and vandalism and 107 incidents related to violence and assault.
The department said out of 15 districts in the province, Gauteng East was the most affected, losing more than R10.5m, while Ekurhuleni North was second, with losses of R4.2m due to theft and vandalism.
Lesufi urged communities to take “ownership of their schools and declare war against criminals who are targeting schools. Learners must always focus on their education and avoid ill discipline.”
In January, a state-of-the-art primary school was robbed in Tsakane, Ekurhuleni just a week after Lesufi opened the facility.
Items stolen included 185 tablets, eight laptops, two projectors, three desktop computers, a plasma TV and R500 in petty cash.