fbpx
16.2 C
Johannesburg
Saturday, December 5, 2020
- Advertisement -

Education MEC Lesufi To Visit Areas Which Have Reached Placement Capacity

With some 9,000 children still unplaced for the 2020 financial year, Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi is to tour various areas this week to address the school placement challenge.

The figure is down from 34,000 unplaced learners at the beginning of November.

Earlier this month, angry parents expressed frustration after they were sent texts informing them to go to the department’s offices, only to find the centres short-staffed and incapacitated.

https://insideeducation.co.za/gauteng-education-mec-lesufi-apologizes-to-parents-over-admissions-glitch/

Lesufi said Alberton and Centurion have been identified as problem areas, where most high demand schools have reached capacity.

“So, on 26 November I will go to Laerskool Uitsig, which is in Centurion, at 5am and I’m addressing all parents that have not placed their children. And then, on Wednesday, I’ll go to Hoerskool Marais Viljoen in Alberton.”

https://insideeducation.co.za/gauteng-education-extends-admission-placement-period-for-2020-to-end-november/

Lesufi said he would be frank during talks with parents.
“And that’s the attitude I am taking to those meetings so that parents can see that this is not a deliberate attempt to deny their children access to those schools. But it’s the capacity of the school have been reached and that we need to find alternatives together.”

Lesufi said parents who were dissatisfied with the schools assigned to them can lodge an appeal with the district and that will be processed in 14 to 21 days.

https://twitter.com/theREALCraigA/status/1197736156873580545

Lesufi meanwhile, accused AfriForum of creating a “smokescreen” to advance its own agenda, following its allegations of irregular expenditure by the GED.

Lesufi was reacting after AfriForum reportedly laid a criminal complaint against him for the irregular expenditure of R900 million.

He said the allegation was not about money being stolen, but rather because he was changing a school placement system that had favoured white children over their black counterparts for years.

“If they want to fight me, they are free to do so. They have been following me. They have been following my children and family. They have tried to attack me. They have tried assassinating me. They have tried to go through my bank accounts. I don’t mind you coming after me, but leave my children and family out of this,” Lesufi said.

- Advertisement -

Related articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest articles

Man Appears In Court Over Matric Exam Leak

NYAKALLO TEFUTHEMBA Daniel Shikwambana has appeared in court in connection with the leaking of one of the National Senior Certificate (NSC) examination...

What Complexity Theory Can Teach Leaders Of South African Universities Today

UNIVERSITIES are complex, dynamic organisations which must adapt in ways that aren’t always planned or predicted. For some university leaders, such challenges...

Government’s Progression Policy For Grade 4 & 9 Learners Given Thumbs Up By Teachers’ Unions, Education Experts

NYAKALLO TEFU TEACHERS’ unions and education experts have welcomed the government’s decision to give learners in Grade 4 and...

Over 40 000 Grades 1 and 8 Learners Still Not Placed In Gauteng Schools: Lesufi

NYAKALLO TEFU GAUTENG MEC of Education, Panyaza Lesufi, says over 40 000 online applicants for Grade 1 and Grade 8...

NSFAS Welcomes New Board And CEO

INSIDE EDUCATION REPORTER THE National Student Financial Aid Scheme has welcomed the appointment of a new CEO and the...