Basic Education Department has postponed the May and June supplementary examinations to an as yet unspecified date later in the year due to the coronavirus outbreak.
More than 350 000 part-time candidates were to sit for the matric supplementary examinations between May and June this year.
Learners who were meant to sit for the exams include candidates who did not meet the pass requirements in the 2019 final exams, as well as those who sought to rewrite to improve their marks.
Inside Education reported two weeks ago that the government was planning to postpone the matric supplementary exams scheduled for June to December due to the novel coronavirus pandemic disruption of the 2020 academic year.
This means that the number of students sitting for Senior Certificate and National Senior Certificate national exams in December this year will increase from roughly 700 00 students to about 1-million.
Basic Education Director-General Mathanzima said that the May and June supplementary exams will now be merged with the November 2020 examinations.
“At the HEDCOM meeting on April 10 2020, it was agreed that the May/June examination should be merged with the November 2020 examination” said the director-general of the DBE, Mathanzima Mweli.
Mweli urged learners to continue preparing for the exams as it will announce the new dates in due time.
He said details regarding the merged June and November examination will be communicated in due course.
“Candidates will be informed regarding registration, examination centres and time-tables. The Second Chance Matric Support Programme link on the website is still available to assist especially those who had been studying independently as part-time candidates,” said Mweli.
“The lockdown has since been extended to 30 April 2020, this has resulted in a disruption to schooling and hence the writing of May/June 2020 examinations has to be re-scheduled.”