GAUTENG MEC for Education Panyaza Lesufi said on Friday the majority of schools in the province have received Personal Protective Equipment ahead of schools reopening on June 8.
Lesufi said despite his confidence with the state of readiness in the province, 53 schools in Gauteng were not ready to reopen due to water and sanitation issues.
He said, however, his department has made alternative plans for learners and staff from these schools.
At the 53 schools which will not reopen yet on Monday, 27 are in the Sedibeng area, 8 in Johannesburg South, 7 in Gauteng West, 1 in Ekurhuleni South, 1 in Gauteng East.
Lesufi said only three schools have been vandalized and cannot reopen yet.
“Until we can fix the issues at these schools they will remain closed and learners will be provided will alternative measures,” said Lesufi.
With learners set to be using different modes of transportation to go to school, the MEC said the registration of drivers who take learners to school will continue after reopening.
“Private and subsidised operators will all have to register through the Department of Transport and we will provide relevant support on the basis of their registration”, said Lesufi.
So far, he said, government has contracted 212 service providers operating with 2 500 commissioned buses.
Lesufi said 1 800 Youth Brigades have been deployed, two pe quintile.
“50% of schools have 2 allocated youth, the department is working on training more every week as we aim to have 7000 Youth Brigades in total,” said Lesufi.
Lesufi said one learner and 11 educators have tested positive for COVID-19 in the province.
“Some schools were closed and decontaminated and reopened after a few days, but some remain closed,” said Lesufi.
He assured parents and staff that any school which is considered unsafe will be immediately shut down.
(Compiled by Inside Education staff)