BASIC Education Minister Angie Motshekga says the leaked matric mathematics paper reached learners in at least eight provinces.
Motshekga briefed the media on Wednesday afternoon following her meeting with the Council of Education Minister (CEM) on the progress of the National Senior Certificate examinations (NSC).
“We are however very disappointed that a question paper has been leaked and some learners appear to have had access to it before it was written,” said Motshekga.
She said the department and the CEM have appointed a team to investigate the origins of the leak of the paper, saying those implicated will be dealt with harshly.
“The penalty for offences related to examinations are very serious. As a learner you can be banned for up to 3 years from writing the NSC exam and if you are an employee in the system you could be jailed,” said Motshekga.
On Monday, the department announced that the Mathematics paper 2 had been leaked, compromising 8 of the 9 provinces.
“The MEC in the Free State says they have not received any reports of learners having seen the leaked paper which leaves 8 of the 9 provinces affected by this leak,” said Motshekga.
The minister and her team table their plan of action for the leakage of the paper.
“We are asking candidates who saw the paper before writing to come forward and provide their details to their respective principal,” added Motshekga.
The department has also appointed investigative auditors for marking in order to identify patterns which may lead them to know who saw the paper prior.
“Re-writing of the paper will be our last resort, the only time learners will have to re-write is if we see that the quality of the examination has been compromised,” said Motshekga.
Meanwhile, Motshekga said the matric results for the class of 2020 will only be released on 22 February 2021.
(SOURCE: INSIDE EDUCATION)