Court issues stern warning against KZN schoolboy in beating case

0
886
views

Bonile Khanyi

The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Education has welcomed bail conditions imposed on the 19-year-old school boy who brutally assaulted his fellow female school learner at the Siyathuthuka High School in Inanda, Durban last year.

The accused schoolboy Lindokuhle Sphiwe Dube‚ who is now a Grade 10 pupil at another high school in Kwa-Mashu, appeared briefly on Monday at the Ntuzuma Magistrate’s Court, outside Durban.

He was granted a R1 500 bail with very strict conditions.

The court told Dube not to interfere with State witnesses.

The court also told him not to directly or indirectly contact the complainant, going to her home, school or send someone there.

The State did not oppose his bail because he was not considered to be a flight risk. On Friday last week, Dube handed himself over to the police with the help of his father, who was also present in court.

Dube is expected to return to court on September 14 after his case was postponed for further investigation. He has been charged with assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm.

The incident reportedly took place in November last year and the girl’s father, a single parent, took his daughter out of the school in fear for her safety when the shocking video was shared among pupils and teachers and went viral in the community.

The schoolgirl’s father – whose name has been withheld to avoid further trauma – said he complained to the school’s management, but he was ignored and told that they were apparently not aware of the incident.

He said the boy’s family was not helpful either.

KZN Department of Education’s spokesperson Muzi Mahlambi told Inside Education on Monday that the department was delighted that the court process was underway.

“We are very much happy that the process of having a justified and a logical conclusion to this matter have begun today,” said Mahlambi.

He said today’s court proceedings have given them more details as to how they were going to proceed with their own internal investigation, which was recently launched after the school failed to deal properly with the matter last year.

Advertisement

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here