fbpx
14 C
Johannesburg
Sunday, December 5, 2021

MEC Panyaza Lesufi says Gauteng government won’t oppose Enoch Mpianzi R10m lawsuit

NYAKALLO TEFU

GAUTENG MEC for Education Panyaza Lesufi has revealed that the government had no intention to oppose a R10 million lawsuit instituted by family of the late Enock Mpianzi, a former Grade 8 learner at the Parktown Boys’ High School, Johannesburg.

Mpianzi drowned in January this year during a school orientation camp held in Brits, North West, after he fell off a raft made by children.

“After we released a report on Enoch Mpianzi, we received a letter from legal representatives representing the family about a potential action that they will take. Indeed, we received the formal letter last week. It was addressed to the minister and copied to us as a province,” said Lesufi.

“We have indicated that we have no appetite to oppose this matter. We have allowed our legal team to continue to engage with the legal firm representing the family, so that we use previous court cases that have ruled on matters such as this in nature as a barometer to determine an appropriate amount.”

Meanwhile, the principal of the school, Malcolm Williams, has returned to work pending a final report into his disciplinary hearing as well as the outcome of a criminal case.

Williams was suspended on January 24 shortly after the incident.

(Compiled by Inside Education staff)

- Advertisement -spot_img

Related articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

MTN Online School Special Edition

Climate Change Special Edition

spot_img
- Advertisement -
Gauteng Gambling Board

Latest articles