Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi say his department is fully aware of the admission disruptions at district offices and has apologised to parents.
The department opened its offices Sunday, with officials deployed to deal with school placements for the 2020 academic year.
Lesufi said staff were “intimidated and in some instances attacked.”
They had aimed to complete the application process by the end of last month but that did not happen.
It has now allocated Sundays for officials to try to get through a large number of parents that have been queuing outside its offices.
His spokesperson Steve Mabona said parents need to understand that not all children would be placed at the schools of their choice.
“We announced the top 20 high-pressure schools on the first day of admissions. We said it’s going to be impossible for all children to be placed there.”
The problem is that our staff members were intimidated and in some instances attacked. We’ve to persuade them to go back to work.We’re trying to resolve the impasse as soon as possible.The major problem is parents who didn’t accept offers and those who didn’t submit documentation https://twitter.com/fils_hermann/status/1190920224930963456 …#Notoafrohatred,filshermann@fils_hermann@Lesufi after queuing for 3hrs ,le system is offline.What for next my Daughter?We need assistance MEC8511:20 AM – Nov 3, 2019Twitter Ads info and privacy157 people are talking about this
Parents please take note that majority of our ‘good schools’ are full and we are trying to find proper alternatives however there will be no learner without a school. Be assured
Lesufi tweeted the latest placement report.
He’s told parents that a technical caused the misunderstanding on when parents should go to the district offices.
Lesufi assured parents that placements for every child who applied on time will be settled by the end of this month.