18.1 C
Johannesburg
Sunday, November 30, 2025

More than 20 children who survived Usindiso Inferno, are still out of school – NGOs

By Johannah Malogadihlare

Civil society organisations and activists have condemned the continuing non-placement of the children of survivors of the Usindiso building tragedy in schools, despite promises made by the Gauteng Education department.

According to “Save the children Organisation” more than 20 children still have not been placed in schools, since their removal to Denver, south of Johannesburg.

The  organisation said they remained concerned over the ongoing violations of both the Bill of Rights as well as the Children’s Act, with spokesperson Margaret Zulu saying the continued exposure of the children and absence of learning called for fresh investigations into the matter.

“Being in school means accessing education and also serves as a safety net against other violations. Our understanding is the places where these children currently are, are not safe,” Zulu said.

Zulu said her organisation has received reports regarding the abuse of some of the children, and many more required effective access to early childhood development programmes.

Human rights activist and Usindiso fire survivor advocate, Andy Chinnah criticised the various departments concerned, especially the education department and said there has been a marked absence of follow up after the tragedy.

“We hoped the relevant role players like disaster management, human settlements and City of Joburg officials, who were at the scene on the day of the fire, would intervene to ensure that children were attending school,” Chinnah said.

He said despite similar issues being voiced in the Khampepe Commission of Inquiry, urgent and decisive action was required.

However, Chinnah said that while parents were directed to schools, they were subsequently turned away due to the lack of space.

“The process looks good on paper, but execution by various departments is lacking,” he said.

Chinnah said that the South African Human Rights Commission has been informed of the situation, but remedies are yet to be confirmed.

The number of children affected by the fire in Marshalltown in August last year, which left 77 people dead, many injured and scores homeless – exceed the initial 20 and stand closer to fifty, including those living in informal settlements across the CBD.

INSIDE EDUCATION

Related articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Inside Metros G20 COJ Edition

JOZI MY JOZI

QCTO

MTN Online School Special Edition

Climate Change Special Edition

spot_img

Inside Education Quarterly Print Edition

Latest articles

Ads Blocker Image Powered by Code Help Pro

Ads Blocker Detected!!!

We have detected that you are using extensions to block ads. Please support us by disabling these ads blocker.